As many of you know, I am not a vegan. But I have to say that there has been a number of times when I have contemplated it – especially because of health problems I have had in the past. I absolutely loved these vegan tacos – I have been using a lot of spicier combinations (usually a variation of cayenne pepper, lime and chili powder) lately in my cooking, and it really just makes food taste so flavoursome. The vegan mix is packed with protein and flavour. Foodsaver has this amazing product called “The Vegetarian Butcher Vegan Mince” – which has great texture and flavour. They also have pre-cooked quinoa which I adore and use in essentially all of my quinoa dishes! I combined the two for lots of protein, and then added a lot of flavour in with salsa, spices as well as nutritional yeast for a touch of cheese-like flavour, and lime for some freshness. The combination with with the Ardo Roasted Corn Mexicana, really makes this meal, as well as the serving of sweet potato fries on the side. The meal comes together quickly, and it’s good for serving a small or big group. I made this recipe for 2 people, so if you are cooking for more, please double or triple it! It’s so good, I think I might just make these from now on, and scrap the meat!!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 5 tacos
1 tablespoon Develey Mexicana Salsa
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Minerva Sunflower Oil
2/3 cup Foodsaver Quinoa
1 cup The Vegetarian Butcher Vegan Mince
5 Foodsaver 6 Inch Flour Tortillas
1 teaspoon Ardo Garlic
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, (1 teaspoon if you like it pretty spicy)*
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes*
juice and zest from half a lime*
1/2 teaspoon Maldon Whole Black Peppercorns, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon Maldon Crushed Sea Salt Flakes, or more to taste
1 tablespoon Minerva Sunflower Oil
2 cups Ardo Roasted Corn Mexicana
Serve alongside Foodsaver Sweet Potato Fries and fresh diced tomato*
* All ingredients available at Foodsaver Stores except those marked with an *.
1. Preheat the oven to 175C while you make the taco mix. If you wish to serve the tacos with sweet potato fries, place as many as you wish to enjoy in a baking tray drizzled with a little olive oil and place in the oven for about twenty minutes.
2. Add 1 tablespoon sunflower oil to a medium sized frying pan over medium high heat. Add the Corn Mexicana and lightly stir fry for 5 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the heat and set aside.
3. In the same frying pan, add another 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil. Once hot, add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly transparent but not burnt. Add the quinoa, vegan mince, cayenne pepper, chilli powder, nutritional yeast, lime juice, lime zest, and salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Wrap the flour tortillas in tinfoil, and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the tortillas from the oven and add spoonfuls of the Vegan Mince, together with the Roasted Corn Mexicana and fresh tomato and enjoy!